Skip to content Skip to footer site map


General Program Information


First Aid & CPR



Is it necessary that I have all admission requirements in order to apply to the program? What if I don’t have the Biology or English credit?

You must have all of the admission requirements to be accepted into the FAHP program, regardless of your background in the Fitness & Health Promotion industry. If you are missing a required course, the “College Prep” program at St. Lawrence College might be able to assist you in completing this credit. This service is free of charge. For more information regarding the College Prep program, please contact the program coordinator Karen Ducharme at or by phone at 613-544-5400 extension 1126.

How do I apply to the program?

You can apply to the Fitness & Health program by visiting the Ontario College Application Service (OCAS) website at

When can I apply to the program?

OCAS typically begins accepting applications in October for the following academic year. To ensure that your application is given equal consideration, please ensure that it is submitted by February 1st.

I am a mature student and I’ve been out of high school for 10 years. Is my application process any different?

No. You still need to ensure that you have the necessary admission requirements, and complete your application through

What is an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) “equivalent”?

As OSSD equivalent includes successful completion of Grade 10 Math, Grade 11 English (C Level), as well as all program admission requirements, and is applicable for individuals who are over 19 years of age.

Am I required to send my high-school transcripts to OCAS? What if I have been out of school for years?

Yes, you are required to send your official high-school transcript to OCAS. You can contact your high-school to make arrangements to have this sent to OCAS. For further information regarding the application process, please contact OCAS at or at 1-888-892-2228.

Is it possible to take courses in this program on a part-time basis?

Students may apply to take courses in the program on a part-time basis, although acceptance is dependent upon available space. Full-time students are given first consideration. Students must still meet all admission requirements to apply as a part-time student.  

I have previously completed college and university courses. How do I find out if I might be exempt from certain courses in the Fitness & Health Promotion program?

You can meet with the program coordinator to discuss whether you are eligible for course exemptions. This meeting typically takes place during the first week of class. You will need to bring the applicable course outline with you, as well as your official transcript. If the course was completed outside of St. Lawrence College, an administrative fee will be applied by the School of Health Studies Office. This fee is currently $25.00 per course, but may be subject to change.

Is there a certain grade percentage that I need to have to be accepted into the FAHP program?

The grade percentage required for entrance into the FAHP program varies each year, depending on the overall marks of applicants. Applicants are encouraged to do the best they can in all of the prerequisite courses and apply before February 1, which is the date for equal consideration.

I applied to your program but have not heard anything back yet. Can provide me with information regarding my application status? 

For any questions concerning your application or admission status, please contact a Student Recruitment Officer at or 1-800-463-0752.

Is your program offered on-line, or through correspondence?

No. Due to the practical nature of this program, it is not offered on-line or through correspondence.

Does your program have a January intake?

No. There is no January intake for the Fitness & Health Promotion program. 

I would like to learn more about the program, and visit the campus. What is the best way for me to do this?

St. Lawrence College offers an Open House event each fall where students can learn more about the programs that the college has to offer. In addition, a Spring Open House is held in April. Students attending this event have the opportunity to meet the faculty, learn about the program, receive a guided tour by FAHP students, and have a chance to speak with current students in the program. To obtain the specific date for these events, please visit the college website. Students who are interested in being a “student for a day” can contact the program coordinator, who can make arrangements for students to spend a day in the life of a fitness and health student.

Do I need to be an athlete, or be "in shape" to enter the program?

No; you do not have to be athletic or “in shape” to join the program. What is important is that you have an interest in healthy living and in helping others reach their health and fitness goals. We have students of all ages, shapes, sizes, and athletic ability. The program does, however, have several fitness components and full participation is required.  Examples of these components include; cardio and strength training, group fitness classes, outdoor recreation activities, fitness assessments, as well as others.

I have been told that I am on wait-list to get into the program. Could you tell me where I am on the list?

For any questions concerning your application status, please contact a Student Recruitment Officer at or 1-800-463-0752.

How can I improve my chances of getting into the program next year?

First, you should ensure that you apply by the date of equal consideration, which is February 1st each year. 
Secondly, you should focus your efforts towards achieving high marks in the required courses, as these are given the most weight in your application. These courses would be Grade 12 English (C or U level), and Grade 11 or 12 Biology (C or U level), or PSE4U Exercise Science, which is an acceptable alternative to the Biology requirement. After this, your overall average is taken into consideration.

General Program Information

How many hours of class do students in the Fitness and Health Promotion program have?

Students in the program can expect approximately 20-25 hours of class per week. Classes are typically scheduled between the hours of 8:30-5:30.

I am currently working full-time. Would it be feasible for me to take your program as well?

It is not recommended that students work full-time while studying in the program.  In order to be successful in the program, it is recommended that full-time students not exceed 12 hours of work per week. 

What computer skills do I need for this program?

It is recommended that students have a basic knowledge of how to use the Internet, Explorer, and MS Word. Experience with Excel and PowerPoint is an asset.

What is the difference between completing this program and taking a weekend qualification course?

There are numerous weekend workshop courses that are offered in the area of fitness and health. One difference between these courses and a Fitness & Health Promotion Diploma is the volume of hours, and the depth of content that a diploma course can offer. As an example, in only one semester of the Fitness and Health Promotion program at St. Lawrence College, students will take roughly 20 hours of course content per week x 15 weeks for a total of 300 hours of course work per semester. In addition, graduates of the program will complete two-200 hour placements, for a total of 400 hours of hands-on work experience in the field of fitness and health. Students will also have to opportunity to complete the nationally recognized Certified Personal Trainer qualification through the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology.

Where do graduates of your program find work?

Graduates of our program have found work in a wide variety of areas. Some examples include: personal trainer, group fitness instructor, health club manager, private business owner, YMCA trainer, military fitness instructor, cruise-ship fitness leader, women’s fitness instructor, and as employees of community health units. In addition, we have had many students continue their education at the university level in the following programs of study; Kinesiology, Physical Education, Health Studies, Nutrition, Recreation and Leisure Studies, Arts & Science, Teaching, and Medicine.

I have a question regarding living in residence next year. Who should I contact about this?

Please contact Barry Kennedy by e-mail at or by phone at 613-544-6000 extension 4995.


Other than tuition, what are the additional costs associated with this program?

In addition to tuition fees, students may expect to incur the following expenses:
CPR & First-Aid = $70-140.00 (depending on certifying organization) 
Text Books & Resources = $500 per semester
Uniform = $100.00
Certification Fees = $125.00
Please note that these are approximate values, and are subject to change.

Who can I contact to get information about the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)?

Please visit for information concerning OSAP, or e-mail if you require additional clarification.

How can I find out about funding and scholarships that might be available to me?

Please visit or e-mail the awards office at for information concerning awards and scholarships.

First Aid & CPR

When do I need to complete my CPR and First Aid?

Students will need to provide successful completion of their CPR and First Aid by the first week of class in their second year of study.

I have completed my CPR training 2 years ago and my certification card has not yet expired. Is this suitable for your program’s requirements?

No. Students are required to update their CPR training annually, regardless of the expiry date on their certification card.

What level of CPR must I have?

All students are required to have BLS/Level C CPR, which must be updated annually regardless of the expiry date on the card.

What type of First Aid course do I need to have?

Students are required to have Standard First Aid. Please note that this is different from Emergency First Aid. Although students are not required to update this annually, they must hold a current certification card. Please review the expiry date on your card to ensure that your certification is still active, and that it will not expire during the school year.


Am I able to complete my placement back home?

Yes, students are able to complete their placement in their hometown, or in other regions outside of Kingston. Some students have completed their placements internationally.