Skip to content Skip to footer site map

Can I work while I study in Canada?
You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin. You can work as an international student in Canada if your study permit lists a condition that says you’re allowed to work on- or off-campus. You can work off-campus, without a work permit, if you meet all of these requirements:
you have a valid study permit that includes a condition that says you can work off-campus
you’re a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
you’re enrolled in a: 
- post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or
- secondary-level vocational training program (Quebec only)

you’ve started studying
your study program
- is at least 6 months long, and
- leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Can I work if I am a part-time international student?
You can work off-campus only if you meet all of the requirements above and you’re only studying part-time, instead of full-time, because:
you’re in the last semester of your study program
you were a full-time student in your program in Canada, up until your last semester
you don’t need a full course load to complete your program

How many hours can I work off-campus?
You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin.
During regular school semesters:
you can work up to 20 hours
During scheduled breaks in your school year, like during winter and summer holidays:
you can work full-time
you can’t work during a break that comes before you start your very first school semester
If your program doesn’t have scheduled academic breaks, you can’t work more than 20 hours per week.
Can we work on-campus as well as off-campus and if so, how many hours?
There are no restrictions on the number of hours students can work on campus in addition to working off campus, provided they continue to meet the applicable eligibility requirements.
Can I take a course during my scheduled break and still work full-time?
Students who are enrolled full time during the academic sessions before and after a regularly scheduled break and who decide to undertake a full-time or part-time course load during that regularly scheduled break are eligible to work off campus on a full-time basis. If a program of study does not provide for a regularly scheduled break and a student creates their own break in a program, it is considered a leave from studies, rather than a regularly scheduled break. Students who create their own break in a program are not eligible to work on or off campus during that break.

Check out this link for more information from the IRCC website. 

If you require assistance, please contact the International Centre on your campus. 

International Student Advisors: 

Laura Caldwell - Kingston
International Student Advisor
613-544-5400, ext. 1883

Carolina Palmer - Kingston 
International Student Advisor
613-544-5400, ext. 1564

Jammie Bannon-Brockville
International Student Advisor
613-345-0660, ext.3373

Francine Desnoyer - Cornwall
International Student Advisor
613-933-6080, ext. 2330