Skip to content Skip to footer site map

What is a post-graduation work permit?
The post-graduation work permit allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

I want to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, am I eligible?
Applicants can receive only 1 post-graduation work permit in their lifetime.
To obtain a post-graduation work permit, the applicant must currently hold valid temporary status or have left Canada. They must have graduated from an eligible designated learning institution (DLI). They must also submit clear evidence that they meet all of the following criteria:
• They have completed an academic, vocational or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada that is at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma or certificate.
• They have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or programs of study they have completed and submitted as part of their post-graduation work permit application. Exceptions can be made only for the following:
- leave from studies
- final academic session
• They have received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that they have met the requirements to complete their program of study.
Note: The transcript and official letter must be included in a post-graduation work permit application.

Part-time status for final academic session
Students must maintain their full-time student status during each academic session of the program or programs of study they complete and submit as part of their post-graduation work permit application. However, if a student meets all the eligibility requirements, with the exception of full-time status during their final academic session (that is, they have part-time status only in their final academic session), they are still considered eligible for the PGWPP.

Can I work while I am waiting to receive my post-graduation work permit?
You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:
• had a valid study permit,
• had completed your program of study,
• were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
• did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.

Can I apply for a job before I get my post-graduation work permit?
Yes, but only if you:
• were a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI) in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program,
• already completed your program of study, and
• didn't exceed the number of hours you could work on and off-campus.
If IRCC refuses your post-graduation work permit, you must stop working immediately

I completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years, am I eligible for a longer PGWP?
The length of the work permit should combine the length of each program. If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for DVS and AVS programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years. The International Centre provides monthly workshops on Study Permit Extensions, Work Permits, and Temporary Resident Visas. To find up to date schedules, check your i-Cent App, or visit the International Centre.

Check out this link for more information from the IRCC website. 

If you require assistance, please contact the International Centre on your campus. 

International Student Advisors: 

Laura Caldwell - Kingston
International Student Advisor
613-544-5400, ext. 1883

Carolina Palmer - Kingston 
International Student Advisor
613-544-5400, ext. 1564

Jammie Bannon-Brockville
International Student Advisor
613-345-0660, ext.3373

Francine Desnoyer - Cornwall
International Student Advisor
613-933-6080, ext. 2330