OPENING - April 2018!
Hello Future is a three-part project:
CEBRIC Centre of Excellence
A Permanent Home for the Centre for Education, Behavioural Research and Intervention in the Community (CEBRIC) Our cluster of nationally-renowned behavioural science programs will be moving to a redeveloped Newcourt House, an historically-designated building on King Street. The CEBRIC Centre of Excellence brings students and faculty together with community organizations to research and develop new approaches in behavioural science.
Modernized Health Sciences Simulation Labs
Half of students enrolled at St. Lawrence College are studying in health and health-related programs. St. Lawrence College is upgrading its health sciences simulation laboratories to meet the need for highly advanced technical training. In addition, the Hello Future project includes brand-new learning and gathering space for our growing Indigenous population. More than 200 Indigenous students attend St. Lawrence today. This new space will honour the unique traditions of Indigenous culture while providing access to all the supports our students need to be successful in their field.
Student Life and Innovation Centre
This new building will change the Portsmouth Avenue face of the College while adding new space for students to collaborate with the community and businesses in entrepreneurial innovation. A new large venue conference area will create space for gatherings of approximately 250 people. Health and wellness features include a new double gym and a large student lounge area.
The final design for the new Student Life and Innovation Centre is still under development and will continue to involve input from our entire college community. Our vision to make SLC amazing is shared with our students and community.
New Student Life and Innovation Centre(S.L.I.C.) will include:
- A new licensed pub for students and the college community
- More student study and meeting space
- Enhanced space for academic programs/labs with physical education components
- More social gathering spaces
- Centralization of student services to simplify student support
- New larger gymnasium to facilitate more recreational and intramural opportunities
- Enhanced fitness facilities
- More space for special events that connect our students to the community and events that bolster school spirit and pride.
- Improvement of the out of classroom learning experience for generations of students
- Increased wellness opportunities for all students, staff, faculty and our community
- Innovation space for students
- Gathering place for Indigenous students
In October 2016 our students voted in a referendum to consider their support, through ancillary fees, for the project. The result was overwhelming, over 80 per cent voted to support the project.
The project is estimated at $32.1 million.
- Planning and site plans are being completed at this time - completion November 2016
- Renovation of the health care simulation labs began October 2016 with an estimated completion for January 2017
- New Construction and renovation will begin April 2017 with completion by Spring 2018
Further construction and planning details
Launch of Uncommon: The campaign for St. Lawrence College
St. Lawrence College Receives Largest Donation in its History
St. Lawrence College launches “Hello Future” Project